The Stitcher Operator sets up and operation of stitcher binder machinery (including gathering, stitching, trimming and/or mail labels) to form completed magazines, catalogs and pamphlets, and coordinates bindery team members interactions on the bindery line, ensuring each job is run according to customer specifications and meeting internal and external deadlines; maintains quality control and reduces waste or bindery downtime.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Examine job orders to determine quantities to be bound or inserted or special binding instructions. Ensure that bindery team members know job details to ensure proper bindery utilization.
- Initiate and perform make-readies/set-ups, ensuring fine tuning of pockets to insure minimal drops and stops during operation.
- Set and monitor machine to insure quality of finished product as well as optimal productivity.
- Set up, adjust and normal repair of machinery as needed for smooth and trouble free operation, including jogging book into position to set long book detector, adjusting scanners as needed for tolerances of book size, adjusting head stroke to proper thickness of book, and adjust stitch leg length and clinch as necessary.
- Perform trial runs at start up, checking books for adherence to specifications, and obtain approval to run from the supervisor.
- Perform stitcher operations to operate and run bindery machinery, ensuring machine speed and quality of product are maintained.
- Coordinate efforts of all bindery team members to ensure bindery is set up and operated according to bindery run schedule(s) meeting all deadlines.
- Assist crew members as necessary throughout the run. Communicate with material handlers when more binding material is needed. Use of hand & electric pallet jacks to move loads of unfinished product into machine loading area. Ascertain that pallet lifters are available and in use.
- Change, adjust, and set trimmer knives to proper length and width.
- Inspect working parts and be able to recognize those that need replacement, reporting to management or maintenance any problems that would affect production.
- Setup, monitor and maintain inkjet systems, inserter systems, label systems or other machinery to complete a job, as applicable.
- Perform preventative maintenance, clean and lubricate stitcher as needed per manufacturers’ recommendations
- Constantly monitor quality of finished product and pull office samples as required by SOP’s.
- Complete necessary paperwork and record data as required (such as counter readings, overrun count, return to stock forms for inserts, load tags for finished work).
- Remove completed loads to staging area for shipment.
- Maintain waste within acceptable range as defined by management per the job.
- Ensure that all safety mechanisms (such as guards, interlocks and other devices) are in proper condition and report any deficiencies to supervision immediately. Engage Lockout/Tagout if necessary. Comply and enforce all safety procedures and policies.
- Perform general machine maintenance for daily running of bindery machinery.
- Maintain clean work environment and good housekeeping at all times.
- Perform require paperwork, reports and inspections as required.
- Attend and participate in required meetings and training.
- Must follow all company policies and procedures as specified in the departmental SOP’s and in the Employee Handbook.
The above list of essential functions is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary.
- Perform job functions of General Workers as needed.
- Assist with training of General Workers as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- 1+ years’ minimum work experience as a Stitcher Operator in printing/bindery operations.
- 1+ years’ work experience as a Stitcher Operator with thorough knowledge of Stitcher machinery operation.
- Ability to read, write and comprehend written instructions and basic arithmetic functions.
- 1+ years work experience in operating a Saber or Wallenberg cutter machine.
SUCCESS FACTORS/JOB COMPETENCIES:
Must be able to meet stringent deadlines and adapt to different working situations in short periods of time. Must be organized and have the ability to plan, prioritize and follow through on projects assigned with minimal supervision required. Must be able to interact and cooperate with team members and show an enthusiastic/positive attitude. Must have ability to communicate (verbal/written) with team members and supervisors. Must be flexible in job shift assignments according to job bindery schedules, work overtime when required, and be able to cover other shifts when needed.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical Demands: While performing duties of job, incumbent is constantly required to stand; walk. Must frequently use hands to finger, handle, grasp, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear; use close vision, distant vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds; crawl; crouch; stoop; twist.
- Work Environment: This position requires work in a production environment. The production environment has a loud noise level and requires PPE (hearing protection), ambient temperatures are warmer in the summer and colder in the winter, and may have exposure to vapors, chemicals, dust, and odors. Other PPE may be required related to specific tasks.
Trend Offset Printing, West Division
3791 Catalina Street
Los Alamitos, CA 90720
Email Human Resources