Responsible for overall direction and coordination of Bindery & Fulfillment Department. Plan, lead, and coordinate all areas of the Finishing Department to achieve continual improvement in quality, productivity and ensuring jobs run according to schedule. Must maintain cost effective operation, safety, quality, speed and labor.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage Bindery, Mail and Cutting departments daily schedules, sequences, and assignments for work activities, based on work priority, quantity of equipment, and skill of personnel to ensure improved performance, quality, safety, and general operational needs, adjusting priorities as needed.
- Responsible for the crewing of Perfect Binder, Mail, Stitcher and departments, including any temporary personnel needs.
- Operate and manage personnel to meet scheduled delivery dates while minimizing work-in-process time and labor costs.
- Interact and make decision with Perfect Bindery, Mailing, and Stitcher Bindery departments to ensure customer quality specifications and delivery commitments are met.
- Interact with Customer Service, Planning, and Sales of existing and potential customers to discuss job specifications and facility capabilities or limitations.
- Provide accurate feedback to Press room on non-conforming product(s).
- Monitor employees’ work levels and review work performance.
- Review and maintain all bindery, cutter, or mail machinery and equipment in working condition to ensure on-time product delivery to customer. Keep management informed of any issues with equipment that may cause delays in production and delivery of product to customers. Coordinate repair activities with maintenance department as necessary.
- Establish and enforce proper operational and maintenance procedures for the departments to ensure a safe and clean department.
- Coordinates bindery, mailing, and cutter scheduling with Manufacturing and Production departments.
- Establish and manage training of bindery, mail, and cutter employees to ensure proper performances of job duties while ensuring safety, efficiency, and quality standards. Maintains effective relationship with employees analyzing causes of complaints and dissatisfaction with work. Advises and guides employees on policies affecting activities and working conditions.
- Responsible for utilizing and processing data in timekeeping system for payroll for assigned employees.
- Responsible for the recording of all Handwork that is done offline in our hand work department.
- Responsible for the documentation of all temporary personnel that are called in and the recording of the cost and time to accounts payable department.
- Responsible for communicating any special instructions, company policies, and procedures to all leads or employees as necessary.
- Control material and supplies within budget and approves requisitions and invoices.
- Obtain department goals as required by management.
The above list of essential functions is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma / GED
- Specialized apprenticeship program or an accredited trade school, or
- 7+ years’ experience gained through training and experience in all phases of Bindery or Finishing work in the printing industry, including knowledge of applicability of various jobs to Bindery
- BA or BS degree in related field
- 5+ years of work experience in all phases of maintenance or printing industry
SUCCESS FACTORS/JOB COMPETENCIES:
- Knowledge of business/management principles, resource allocation, leadership, mentoring, production methods, and coordination of people/resources. Fluency in English, including spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Knowledge of machines, equipment, and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance and knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture of goods.
- Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Competent in math and computer skills.
- Skillful in motivating, developing, and directing people, being aware of others, speaking and coordinating with others, interfacing with all levels of employees, critical thinking, active listening and dialogue, communication, negotiation, judgment and decision making skills, and solving complex problems by developing and evaluating options.
- Must be organized and have the ability to plan, prioritize and follow through on projects assigned with minimal supervision required; must have a participative style and develop a work environment in which cooperation, empowerment and teamwork among employees is the accepted. Must be able to use personal protective equipment as required.
- Must be flexible and available during evenings, weekends and holidays when needed and be available for emergencies or during multiple shift hours as needed.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical Demands: While performing duties of job, incumbent is constantly required to stand; walk. Must frequently use hands to finger, handle, grasp, or feel objects, tools or controls; use computer keyboards and monitors; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear; smell for the purposes of detecting odors; use close vision, distant vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds; crawl; crouch; stoop; twist.
- Work Environment: This position requires some of the work to be performed in an office environment and some work in a production environment. The office environment has a low noise level with ambient temperatures controlled by heating and air conditioning and PPE is not required. Office equipment (such as phones, computers, copiers, etc) is used. The production environment has a loud noise level and requires PPE (hearing protection, safety shoes), ambient temperatures are warmer in the summer and colder in the winter, and may have exposure to vapors, chemicals, dust, and odors. Other PPE may be required related to specific tasks.
Trend Offset Printing, Southwest Division
2323 McDaniel Drive
Carrollton, TX 75006
Email Human Resources