The Perfect Bindery Operator sets up and operation of perfect binder machinery and coordinates bindery team members interactions on the bindery line, ensuring each job is run according to customer specifications and meeting internal and external deadlines; maintains quality control and reduces waste or bindery downtime.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Examine job orders to determine quantities to be bound or inserted or special binding instructions. Ensure that bindery team members know job details to ensure proper bindery utilization.
- Initiate and perform make-readies/set-ups, ensuring fine tuning of pockets to insure minimal drops and stops during operation.
- Set and monitor machine calipers to insure quality of finished product
- Set up, adjust and repair heads as needed for smooth and trouble free operation
- Perform bindery operations to operate and run bindery machinery, ensuring machine speed and quality of product are maintained.
- Coordinate efforts of all bindery team members to ensure bindery is set up and operated according to bindery run schedule(s) meeting all deadlines.
- Change and adjust trimmer knives.
- Inspect working parts and be able to recognize those that need replacement, reporting to management or maintenance any problems that would affect production.
- Setup, monitor and maintain inkjet systems or inserter systems when applicable.
- Constantly monitor quality of finished product and pull office samples as required by SOP’s.
- Maintain waste within acceptable range as defined by management per the job.
- Ensure that all safety mechanisms (such as guards, interlocks and other devices) are in proper condition and report any deficiencies to supervision immediately. Engage Lockout/Tagout if necessary.
- Perform general machine maintenance for daily running of bindery machinery.
- Maintain clean work environment and good housekeeping at all times.
- Perform require paperwork, reports and inspections as required.
- Attend and participate in required meetings and training.
- Must follow all company policies and procedures as specified in the departmental SOP’s and in the Employee Handbook.
The above list of essential functions is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary.
- Perform job functions of General Workers as needed.
- Assist with training of General Workers as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- 6+ months minimum work experience as a General Worker in bindery operations
- 1+ years work experience as a Bindery Operator with thorough knowledge of bindery machinery operation
- Ability to read, write and comprehend written instructions and basic arithmetic functions.
- 1+ years work experience in operating a Saber or Wallenberg cutter machine.
SUCCESS FACTORS/JOB COMPETENCIES:
Must be able to meet stringent deadlines and adapt to different working situations in short periods of time. Must be organized and have the ability to plan, prioritize and follow through on projects assigned with minimal supervision required. Must be able to interact and cooperate with team members and show an enthusiastic/positive attitude. Must have ability to communicate (verbal/written) with team members and supervisors. Must be flexible in job shift assignments according to job bindery schedules, work overtime when required, and be able to cover other shifts when needed.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical Demands: While performing duties of job, incumbent is constantly required to stand; walk. Must frequently use hands to finger, handle, grasp, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear; use close vision, distant vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds; crawl; crouch; stoop; twist.
- Work Environment: This position requires work in a production environment. The production environment has a loud noise level and requires PPE (hearing protection), ambient temperatures are warmer in the summer and colder in the winter, and may have exposure to vapors, chemicals, dust, and odors. Other PPE may be required related to specific tasks.
Trend Offset Printing, Southwest Division
2323 McDaniel Drive
Carrollton, TX 75006
Email Human Resources