Setting up, operating, adjusting, and tending to paper waste recovery/baler system and machinery, handling and processing of paper waste into correct bales, recording written records of waste/bales, while working in a safe and productive manner.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Operation of baler and all support machinery (such as setting up, operating, adjusting, and tending) to assure recovery and proper baling of all waste paper, while ensuring efficient processing of bales to keep baler machines running without stoppage.
- Responsible for segregation of printed, white waste and trim waste to assure proper classification (grading) of waste bales. Must assure quality bale, proper tagging and proper (trailer) loading to assure optimal economic opportunity in the sale of waste paper.
- Ensure proper waste material goes into the appropriate baler machine.
- Properly transport, weight, identify, tag, and store bale material.
- Transport and load bales into recycling containers or trailers for transportation by recycling company.
- Perform routine preventive maintenance on baler machinery including removal of buildup of excess trimmings on a daily basis to assure proper flow from all in-coming lines. Preventive maintenance includes daily check procedure (once per shift) and a minimum of once weekly (per shift) complete cleanup.
- Retrieve “white” waste from each press periodically (at least twice) during each shift and deliver to baler, making sure that spilled scraps are cleaned up promptly.
- Maintain daily journal/log to document activity, concerns, or issues.
- Record pallets of finished product approved as “waste” and retain samples of each. Confirmation that proper approval has been issued prior to “wasting” finished product.
- Responsible for safe and efficient operation of all baler machinery/equipment, including powered industrial lift trucks and other lift equipment. Eliminate all unsafe practices and conditions or report issues to supervision. Wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE). Use all lockout/tagout procedures – do not perform any confined space entry procedures- notify maintenance if confined space entry is needed.
- Perform continual housekeeping of baler area and baler machinery.
- Complete forklift and dock plate inspection sheets before the beginning of every shift.
- Must follow all company policies and procedures as specified in the Employee Handbook.
The above list of essential functions is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary.
Perform other duties as assigned
- 1+ Year Experience as a licensed powered industrial lift truck operator
- Ability to physically lift up to 70 pounds
- Ability to read scales and record measurements (basic math skills)
- 2+ years experience in operating a powered industrial lift truck
- Prior experience in handling, moving, and truck/trailer loading of scrap bales and skids
- Proficient reading, oral, and written communication skills in English to communicate bale data
SUCCESS FACTORS/JOB COMPETENCIES:
Successful candidate will have the ability to quickly/accurate identify and compare similarities or difference in waste product; ability to respond to constantly changing environment; use control mechanisms or directly physical activity to operate machines or processes; detecting changes in circumstances or events; observing/receiving and otherwise obtaining information from all relevant sources; providing information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person; entering/recording/storing/maintaining information in written or electronic form; performing physical activities that require considerable use of your arms and legs and moving your whole body, such as climbing, lifting, balancing, driving, walking, stooping, and handling of materials; and reliable, responsible, adaptable, and attention to detail with minimal supervision.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical Demands: While performing duties of job, incumbent is frequently required to stand, walk, sit for extended periods of time while driving forklift or other industrial trucks/accessories, to use hands, fingers, feet and general body to operate forklift equipment, to grasp, move or assemble objects, get into/out off the industrial truck, hear, and to smell (for the purpose of detecting propane odors). Required to occasionally, talk, stoop and climb. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 70 pounds to lift, pull, push or carry objects. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distant vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work Environment: This position requires work in a production environment. The production environment has a loud noise level and requires PPE (hearing protection, safety shoes), ambient temperatures are warmer in the summer and colder in the winter, and may have exposure to vapors, chemicals, dust, weather, and/or odors. Other PPE may be required related to specific tasks.
Trend Offset Printing, West Division
3791 Catalina Street
Los Alamitos, CA 90720
Email Human Resources