Sets up and operates a multi-unit offset web printing press and coordinates press team members interactions on the press, ensuring each job is run according to customer specifications and meeting internal and external deadlines; maintains quality control and reduces waste or press downtime.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Examine job orders to determine quantities to be printed, stock specifications, colors, or special printing instructions. Ensure that press team members know job details to ensure proper press utilization.
- Ensure plates are correct for current job, or order plates when necessary and provide appropriate information when placing order, and/or coordinate with 2nd Press Operator.
- Verify that paper and ink meet the specifications for the job and/or coordinate with 2nd Press Operator.
- Initiate and perform make-readies, including instruction to other press team members to assist.
- Perform press operations to operate and run press, such as make-ready, folder operation, register color, and general press operations maintenance activities. Ensure press speed and quality are maintained.
- Coordinate efforts of all press team members to ensure press is set up and operated according to press schedule(s).
- Determine first save copies on all start-ups and/or instruct 2nd Press Operator to obtain copies.
- Collect and inspect random samples during print runs to identify any necessary adjustments and coordinate such efforts with 2nd Press Operator.
- Ensure quality standards required by customer are met and maintained. Perform press duties to achieve, maintain and monitor quality of signatures throughout the press run, including such things as: maintaining consistent color, registration and folds.
- Insure that correct proofs are available for each job and returned upon completion of the job (includes O.K.’d sheets).
- Pull proofs to check for ink coverage and density, alignment, and registration
- Direct press team members to establish and review a list of maintenance tasks to be performed during major make-readies.
- Direct and coordinate press team members interactions to insure proper press operations.
- Ensure proper color by setting color and adjusting color as required by quality requirements.
- Monitoring and direct press activities to ensure proper print quality.
- Verify that 2nd Press Operator uses the correct plates and determine when additional plates/blankets are necessary. Direct other press team members to dispose of plates in approved recycling containers.
- Ensure that 2nd Press Operator pulls and labels samples and/or office copies as required by job order or quality control or assist with pulls and samples.
- Ensure proper web tension to allow job to run at correct speed, direct other press team members to adjust and maintain proper web tension.
- Generate required records and waste reports or direct other press team members to complete documentation.
- Maintain waste within acceptable range as defined by management per the job.
- Assist other press team members as necessary to ensure that the press continues to run.
- Ensure proper housekeeping on and around press and work area by directing other press team members.
- Ensure that all safety mechanisms (such as guards, interlocks and other devices) are in proper condition and report any deficiencies to supervision immediately. Engage Lockout/Tagout if necessary.
- Attend and participate in required meetings and training.
- Must follow all company policies and procedures as specified in the departmental SOP’s and in the Employee Handbook.
- Perform routine maintenance on the press with press team members as required to maintain press functionality. Direct other press team members on necessary work to keep press operational.
- Follow all company policies and procedures as specified in the departmental SOP’s and in the Employee Handbook.
The above list of essential functions is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Basic Computer skills related to press operations
- Basic Math skills
- High School Diploma or GED, or
- 5-7 years work experience gained through training in all phases of press work in the printing industry including, but not limited to:
- Knowledge of applicability of jobs to individual presses
- Ability to read and understand written instructions and set-up the press to carry out instructions
- Ability to problem-solve issues related to the press or press operations
- Thorough knowledge of press operations and functions
- Understanding of quality systems and how they relate to customer expectations
- 2+ years of work experience as a 2nd Press Operator in offset web environment
- 1+ years Heidelberg Harris 4/6/8 color presses in offset web environment
- 1+ years Goss Press experience in offset web environment
- Mechanical ability (working with machinery)
SUCCESS FACTORS/JOB COMPETENCIES:
Must be able to meet stringent deadlines. Must be organized and have the ability to plan, prioritize and follow through on projects assigned with minimal supervision required. Must be able to interact and cooperate with press team members and show an enthusiastic/positive attitude. Must have ability to communicate (verbal/written) with press team members and supervisors. Must be flexible in job shift assignments according to job press schedules, work overtime when required, and be able to cover other shifts when needed.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical Demands: While performing duties of job, incumbent is constantly required to stand; walk. Must frequently use hands to finger, handle, grasp, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear; use close vision, distant vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds; crawl; crouch; stoop; twist.
- Work Environment: This position requires work in a production environment. The production environment has a loud noise level and requires PPE (hearing protection), ambient temperatures are warmer in the summer and colder in the winter, and may have exposure to vapors, chemicals, dust, and odors. Other PPE may be required related to specific tasks.
Trend Offset Printing, West Division
3791 Catalina Street
Los Alamitos, CA 90720
Email Human Resources