The Bindery Supervisor is responsible for supervising and coordinating jobs with bindery team members based on the production schedule. Oversees bindery operations and verifies printed material to ensure conformance with job specifications.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Observe and monitor bindery operations and examine printed material to verify conformance with run sheet specifications to meet customer expectations, internally and externally.
- Authorize quality of product once it is checked for trimming, alignment and signature order.
- Supervise, direct, and coordinate work for the Binder Operators, 2nd Binder Operators, General Helpers, and Mail Crews to achieve the objective of meeting production schedules and delivery dates as committed to customers.
- Work closely with Material Handling and Shipping Departments to ensure product is delivered in a timely manner.
- Maintain communication within the bindery on all shifts as well as other supervisors to coordinate operations and activities within or between departments.
- Plan and coordinate labor/staffing efforts (work schedules, assignments, and production sequences) to effectively meet all production and quality requirements.
- Maintain and monitor the completion of all necessary records such as daily production and throughput, maintenance requests, accident reports, counseling records, bindery/mail production information sheets and safety audits as assigned.
- Monitor binder machinery to ensure operation is meeting or exceeding run-speed requirements, verifying compliance with quality standards and minimal waste.
- Attend production meetings to update other departments on job status.
- Assist operators in coordination of Preventative Maintenance for binders.
- Enforce all policies and procedures related to safety and housekeeping.
- Inspect materials, products or equipment to detect defects or malfunctions. Take corrective action to remedy issues.
- Confer with management or subordinates to resolve worker problems, complaints, or grievances and take necessary actions to remedy within the scope of supervisor duties.
- Conduct employee training in equipment operations or work and safety procedures, and assign employee training to experienced workers.
- Read and analyze charts, job orders, production scheduled and other records to determine production requirements to evaluate current production estimates and outputs.
- Process employee timecards and monitor attendance. Discipline as required to ensure compliance.
The above list of essential functions is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma or GED, or
- 10+ years work experience gained through training in all phases of bindery work in the printing industry, but not limited to:
- Comprehensive knowledge of Mueller-Martine Perfect Binder/Stitching Equipment and mail operations and machinery maintenance troubleshooting/repair.
- Previous Binder Operator experience on Mueller-Martini Equipment a plus
- 3-5 years of Supervisor experience with Mueller-Martini Perfect Binder Equipment
SUCCESS FACTORS/JOB COMPETENCIES:
Must be able to meet stringent deadlines. Must be well organized, able to respond quickly to changing situations, computer literate, quality conscious and customer oriented, and be able to identify and meet customers’ needs and requirements. Must have the ability to plan, prioritize and follow through on projects, skillful in motivating, developing, and directing people, being aware of others, speaking and coordinating with others, interfacing with all levels of employees, critical thinking, active listening and dialogue, communication, negotiation, judgment and decision making skills, and solving complex problems by developing and evaluating options, with strong team building and interpersonal skills. Must have ability to communicate (verbal/written), and must be flexible to cover other shifts when needed. Must be able to use personal protective equipment as required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical Demands: While performing duties of job, incumbent is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distant vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work Environment: This position requires some work in an office environment and some work in a production environment. The office environment has a low noise level with ambient temperatures controlled by heating and air conditioning and PPE is not required. The production environment has a loud noise level are requires PPE (hearing protection), ambient temperatures are warmer in the summer and colder in the winter, and may have exposure to vapors, chemicals, dust, and odors. Other PPE may be required related to specific tasks.
Trend Offset Printing, West Division
3791 Catalina Street
Los Alamitos, CA 90720
Email Human Resources