Responsible for set-up and operation of digital press to produce variable and static digital printed products, ensuring each job is run according to customer specifications and meeting internal and external deadlines, while maintaining industry standards of quality at the highest rate of productivity for the digital press (inkjet, toner, or other digital process), and while reducing waste or press downtime.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Study the job ticket and other applicable information prior to starting any run.
- Review specifications and adjusts equipment to meet customer expectations and conform with industry standard guidelines for quality.
- Ensure required resources are available in order to complete job (raw materials, information, media, fonts, graphics, etc.).
- Prepare and operate the digital press per manufacturer specifications.
- Pull first press sheet and obtain sign-off from other applicable manufacturing processes.
- Perform continual quality checks to confirm accuracy of content and quality.
- Advise other department employees on how to improve job color and design, etc.
- Work to maintain the digital print schedule; notify management of conflicts.
- Maintain daily print production logs and other required journals or data.
- Perform regular inventory checks and stocking requests for ink, paper, and other required supplies.
- Stage job files and raw materials for shift and following shift.
- Cross-train helpers on press setup using training materials and performs testing.
- Maintain the digital printing presses in impeccable order both inside and out.
- Perform cleaning and replenishing of consumables as required.
- Perform adjustments and maintenance activities (only if certified by the manufacturer).
- Utilize diagnostics to troubleshoot and correct image quality artifacts.
- Contact and interface with applicable vendor’s Customer Support Center as necessary.
- Respond appropriately to fault, error, and alert messages (only if certified by the manufacturer).
- Troubleshoot problems that occur during job submission or the printing process and suggest recommendations.
- Ensure proper paper handling, conditioning and loading.
- Calibrate and linearize the system to maintain optimal color output (only if certified by the manufacturer).
- Monitor and report environmental changes that may impact equipment performance (humidity and temperature).
- Evaluate output and make adjustments to obtain a desired level of image quality (only if certified by the manufacturer).
- Maintain waste within acceptable range as defined by management per the job.
- Ensure proper housekeeping on and around press and work area.
- Ensure that all safety mechanisms (such as guards, interlocks and other devices) are in proper condition and report any deficiencies to supervision immediately. Engage Lockout/Tagout if necessary.
- Attend and participate in required meetings and training.
- Must follow all company policies and procedures as specified in the departmental SOP’s and in the Employee Handbook.
- Follow all company policies and procedures as specified in the departmental SOP’s and in the Employee Handbook.
The above list of essential functions is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Working knowledge of color theory related to printing
- Experience with variable data information workflows and imposition.
- Understands digital printing equipment and print symptoms to identify problems in advance.
- Knowledge of substrates, their limitations, and settings required for good print reproduction.
- Able to resolve toner and inkjet imperfections and artifacts inherent in digital printing.
- Understanding of the effects of temperature & moisture on the print job and subsequent finishing.
- Advanced mechanical abilities and motor skills
- Previous experience and certifications on iGen and Oce Inkjet digital presses
- Knowledge of various finishing operations and equipment
- Desktop application and DFE color correction experience
- Bachelor Degree or equivalent experience
- 3+ yrs work as a Digital Press Operator.
SUCCESS FACTORS/JOB COMPETENCIES:
Must be well organized, able to respond quickly to changing situations, computer literate, quality conscious and customer oriented, and be able to identify and meet customers’ needs and requirements. Must be able to work well under pressure. Be familiar with the printing and finishing process. This person must possess solid teamwork and interpersonal skills, and be highly effective in written and verbal English language communications. Must be able to travel, work weekends and holidays. Must be flexible in job shift assignments according to job press schedules, work overtime when required, and be able to cover other shifts when needed.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical Demands: While performing duties of job, incumbent is often required to sit; use hands to finger, use computer/monitor, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. Employee must occasionally stand; walk; lift and/or move up to 45 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work Environment: This position requires some work in an office environment and some work in a production environment. The office environment has a low noise level with ambient temperatures controlled by heating and air conditioning and PPE is not required. The production environment has a loud noise level and requires PPE (hearing protection), ambient temperatures are warmer in the summer and colder in the winter, and may have exposure to vapors, chemicals, dust, and odors. Other PPE may be required related to specific tasks.
EMPLOYEE ACKNOWLEDGEMENT: The employee is expected to adhere to all company policies while employed. I have read and understand the contents of this job description.
Trend Offset Printing, West Division
3791 Catalina Street
Los Alamitos, CA 90720
Email Human Resources