The Roll Tender is responsible for setting up, operating, and tending paper materials and supplies necessary to keep the press operating.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Identify, requisition, move, splice, and load the correct paper to the press ensuring the roll size and basis weight for the current job while minimizing damage or waste.
- Esure that paper roll(s) is (are) loaded and available for the press to print; eliminate press shutoffs due to lack of paper rolls.
- Assist with press start-up and move controls to regulate tension on rolls, to synchronize speed of press.
- Report any paper damage or deficiencies to the Press Operator. Initiate and record proper paperwork for damaged/deficient paper.
- Remove finished butt roles/cores from press after use and remove paper from cores, placing in appropriate recycling containers.
- Re-wrap and/or identify rolls to be returned to paper storage with related paperwork.
- Examine work and adjust machinery as necessary to correct production problems
- Review schedule and communicate with Press Operator regarding jobs to be completed on current shift, ensuring that the correct paper is staged and ready to go while the current job is running. Identify any special ink requirements and have ink delivered to the press. Identify a makeready roll and show Press Operator a sample.
- Check ink supply at the beginning of each shift. Notify the Press Operator if ink supply is too low to complete the job(s).
- Monitor all chemicals and totes, changing them before they run out.
- Check the fountain solution tanks once per shift, ensuring clean tanks, working pumps and refrigeration.
- Ensure all press supplies and chemical are full and available for use.
- Assist with wash up, plate hanging, changing blankets and make-ready work.
- At press start-up, assist Press Operator with registration, cutoff and side lay position.
- Maintain housekeeping at roll stand and press areas; keep press clean by wiping the units off; maintain decks and handrails clean; empty trash; sweep floors continually during the day, and properly/promptly clean up spills.
- Return any unused ink to the ink room at the end of each job.
- Practice safe work habits. Understand and follow company and industry safety rules. Wear appropriate safety equipment/PPE. Report any unsafe equipment or conditions to your supervisor.
- Adhere to all company policies and procedures as specified in the departmental SOP’s and in the Employee Handbook.
The above list of essential functions is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Cross train on 2nd Press Operator duties and other press duties.
- 1+ years’ experience in Roll Tender and Jogger work in web offset printing
- Knowledge of basic production and warehouse procedures in printing environment
- 1+ year of forklift/pallet jack/overhead crane/material handling experience
- 3+ years’ experience in Roll Tender work in web offset printing equipment
SUCCESS FACTORS/JOB COMPETENCIES:
Must be able to meet stringent deadlines, maintain punctual attendance and be present at work station when shift begins. Must be flexible in job shift assignments according to job press schedules, work overtime when required, and be able to cover other shifts when needed. Must be able to interact and cooperate with press team members. Must have ability to communicate (verbal/written) with press team members and supervisors and able to read, write, and comprehend basic written instructions. Must be able to calculate basic arithmetic functions and record data. Must have knowledge of paper materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of printed products, and mechanical aptitude and knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance. Must have the ability to quickly and repeatedly adjust the controls of a machine to exact positions and determine when something is wrong or may go wrong. Must be able to keep pace of the machinery or equipment run speed.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical Demands: While performing duties of job, incumbent is constantly required to stand; walk. Must frequently use hands to finger, handle, grasp, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; push or pull large objects; talk and hear; use close vision, distant vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds; crawl; crouch; stoop; twist.
- Work Environment: This position requires work in a production environment. The production environment has a loud noise level and requires PPE (hearing/foot protection), ambient temperatures are warmer in the summer and colder in the winter, and may have exposure to vapors, chemicals, dust, and odors. Other PPE may be required related to specific tasks.
Trend Offset Printing, West Division
3791 Catalina Street
Los Alamitos, CA 90720
Email Human Resources