Responsible for setup and running of machines that inserts printed products (such as magazines, newspapers, catalogs, booklets, freebies, and inserts) into a polythene bag, then preparing the bags for collection by another department or palletizing the bags for shipment. Will also run other bindery equipment or machinery.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs manual and machine operator tasks related to the setup and operation of polybag and/or mailing machines and ancillary functions.
- Perform inserting procedures, including setting up, operating and monitoring of mailing machines, loading envelopes/mailers into feeders, setting up conveyors and delivery, and loading products to be mailed.
- Operate label/address application equipment by setting up, loading, and monitoring product feeder, setting up conveyors and optical scanning devices, setting up and loading lists/labels/cards/plates/tapes/disks, etc., adjusting image system and label application head/knives/slitters, starting and stopping machine to correct routine problems such as jammed product. (Some jobs require the use of a computer in mailing list processing).
- Perform sorting procedures within postal regulations, including manual sorting, setting up and adjusting optical scanner and microprocessor for automatic sorting, and properly identifying/labeling products for distribution.
- Perform bagging procedures, including manually bagging and/or setting up and operating semi-automatic bagging equipment; properly identifying/labeling products for distribution.
- Loads stock (labels and/or bag tags); unloads printed stock; identifies printed labels and/or bag tags; does bursting and folding.
- Observe machine operations to ensure quality and conformity of filled or packaged bagged products to standards.
- Monitor the production line, watching for problems such as pile-ups, jams, or sealing operations on the bagging machinery that isn’t sealing or stacking properly.
- Stock and sort product for packaging machine operation, and replenish packaging supplies, such as labels, boxes, cartons, glue, ink, or labels.
- Identify when a polybag has an address label and postage indicia (PPI) applied to it.
- Perform general bindery or inserter work when polybag machinery is not in operation due to low customer demand for polybag work.
- Perform general housekeeping functions to maintain work area in a clean and orderly fashion.
- Follow all company policies and procedures as specified in the Employee Handbook.
The above list of essential functions is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma, GED, or equivalent work experience
- Ability to read and understand written instructions
- Proficient knowledge of polybag operations, machine set-up and use
- Knowledge of applicability of various jobs related to bindery department
- Thorough knowledge of polybag operation, mailing machines, machine set-up and use.
- Understanding of quality systems and how they relate to customer expectations
SUCCESS FACTORS/JOB COMPETENCIES:
Must be able to meet stringent deadlines and adapt to different working situations in short periods of time according to customer and production requirements. Must be organized and pay attention to detail, and have the ability to plan, prioritize and follow through on projects assigned with minimal supervision required, and must be flexible in job shift assignments according to production schedules, work overtime when required, and be able to cover other shifts when needed. Must be able to watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly and make adjustments to machinery as necessary. Must have the ability to quickly move your hand, your hand together with your arm, or your two hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble objects, the ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer), the ability to quickly and repeatedly adjust the controls of a machine or a vehicle to exact positions, and the ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical Demands: While performing duties of job, incumbent is constantly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; grasp items; utilize machinery; talk and hear; use close vision, distant vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Employee frequently must lift and/or move up to 25 pounds; crouch; and stoop. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Work Environment: This position requires work in a production environment. The production environment has a loud noise level and requires PPE (hearing protection), ambient temperatures are warmer in the summer and colder in the winter, and may have exposure to vapors, chemicals, dust, and odors. Other PPE may be required related to specific tasks.
Trend Offset Printing, Florida
10301 Busch Drive North
Jacksonville, Florida 32218
Email Human Resources