Configure, setup, and operate various pieces of finishing equipment to unwind rolls provided from digital inkjet press lines to trim, score, perforate, fold, glue, plow, and tip-on various personalized products for direct mail, magazines, postcards, and other print publications. The Finishing Operator ensures that each job is executed according to customer specifications and meets all schedules and deadlines, maintains industry quality standards and reduces waste and downtime while maintaining precise postal sort order.
Trend Digital utilizes equipment from MBO, HHS, Palamides, IBIS and other manufacturers that specialize in digital finishing equipment for the world of direct marketing and personalization. Our equipment includes: MBO Unwinder, Sheeter, and Buckle Folders, HHS tables for plow folding, gluing, perforating, scoring, tip-on, etc. We also have an MBO cut-sheet folder that interfaces with most of the specialty equipment to replicate items produced on the main finishing line and we also have an IBIS Saddle Stitcher for binding personalized pieces.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Configure, setup and operate all finishing line and bindery equipment/machinery to process printed product arriving from digital press operations, maintaining production and quality requirements while reducing waste and downtime.
- Review job ticket specifications and other applicable information prior to starting any finishing operation and communicates instructions to team members.
- Coordinate efforts of all digital finishing team members to ensure digital finishing is set up and operated according to schedule(s) and customer requirements.
- Ensures that mail is maintained in precise postal sort order and is correctly bundled, stacked, sacked, palletized, and otherwise fulfilled correctly.
- Ensures that 100 percent of every job is completed by reporting waste in a timely manner so that reprints can be generated, refinished, and inserted back into the mail stream, each piece into their precise numerical position in the stream.
- Notifies Material Handling when a job is ready to be picked up.
- Correctly communicates the written status of all work performed in concise change over notes.
- Determine factors (example: environmental conditions such as temperature and moisture) and the effects on the job being finished and make adjustments to ensure optimum machine speed and quality of product.
- Continuously monitors the quality of the finished product to ensure that it meets customer expectations, industry standards, and mailing standards
- Perform equipment safety and maintenance inspections at the beginning of every shift and maintain the finishing line, associated equipment, and work area. Notify management of any defects or faults so that maintenance can be scheduled.
- Assist other finishing team members as necessary to ensure that the finishing operations continue to run with minimal downtime.
- Attend and participate in required meetings and training.
- Perform cross-training with other team members as time allows.
- Follow all company policies and procedures as specified in the departmental SOP’s and in the Employee Handbook.
The above list of essential functions is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Basic computer skills related to finishing operations
- Basic math skills
- High School Diploma or GED, or
- 5-7 years work experience gained through training in all phases of finishing work in the printing industry including, but not limited to:
- Knowledge of applicability of jobs to individual finishing jobs
- Ability to read and understand written instructions and set-up the finishing machinery or equipment to carry out instructions
- Ability to problem-solve issues related to the finishing operations
- Thorough knowledge of finishing operations and functions
- Understanding of quality systems and how they relate to customer expectations
- Mechanical ability (working with machinery)
- Bilingual Skills (Spanish/English)
SUCCESS FACTORS/JOB COMPETENCIES:
Must be able to meet stringent deadlines. Must be organized and have the ability to plan, prioritize and follow through on projects assigned with minimal supervision required. Must be able to interact and cooperate with finishing team members and show an enthusiastic/positive attitude. Must have ability to communicate (verbal/written) with finishing team members and supervisors. Must be flexible in job shift assignments according to job finishing schedules, work overtime when required, and be able to cover other shifts when needed. Must be able to keep pace with machine speed.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical Demands: While performing duties of job, incumbent is constantly required to stand; walk, bend. Must frequently use hands to finger, handle, grasp, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear; use close vision, distant vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds; crawl; crouch; stoop; twist.
Work Environment: This position requires work in a production environment. The production environment has a loud noise level and requires PPE (hearing protection), ambient temperatures are warmer in the summer and colder in the winter, and may have exposure to vapors, chemicals, dust, and odors. Other PPE may be required related to specific tasks.
Trend Offset Printing, West Division
3791 Catalina Street
Los Alamitos, CA 90720
Email Human Resources