The Tax Examiner & Collector is responsible for the overview of the sales tax process, examining & reviewing customer’s tax status and determining tax liability in accordance to prescribed laws and regulations. Additionally, responsible for administrative tasks, collection of outstanding account receivables and all other aspects of collection, analysis and resolution of billing problems and reducing accounts receivable delinquency.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain knowledge of tax code changes, multi-state sales tax and use tax.
- Maintain knowledge of accounting procedures and theory to properly evaluate financial information.
- Maintain records, including contacts, telephone numbers, and actions taken.
- Contact customers to address account delinquent, discrepancies and short pays to request supporting documentation and resolution.
- Work with federal, state, and local governments as needed to resolve tax issues.
- Conduct audits and manage exemption/resale certificates.
- Makes routine calls to customers in a professional manner to maintain business relationship.
- Reviews aging and Short Pay Hot Sheet for any past due credits and/or short pays that need to be addressed.
- Keeps accurate updated notes for accounts and oversees the solicitation for payment on overdue accounts for a steady and continuous workflow.
The above list of essential functions is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary.
Perform other duties as assigned
Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or related field.
– 5+ years of experience in multi-state sales and use tax, excise tax, and/or motor fuel tax matters, preferably in the same or similar industry.
– Proficiency with email and Microsoft Office (intermediate Excel is required).
– Proficiency in analyzing and reconciling accounts.
– Experience performing tax research using tax services.
– Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are required because of interactions both inside and outside of the department.
SUCCESS FACTORS/JOB COMPETENCIES:
Must have competent math and organizational skills; written and verbal communication skills; detail-oriented, have high degree of accuracy in data entry skills; possess courteous and professional communication skills; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, customers, and the general public; ability to meet stringent deadlines; organized and have the ability to plan, prioritize and follow through on projects assigned with minimal supervision required; ability to interact and cooperate with team members in various departments and show an enthusiastic/positive attitude. Forward thinking, with ability to adapt to fast-paced and dynamic business environment. Positive attitude, enthusiastic, and eager to contribute. Ability to manage multiple tasks/projects, work well under pressure. Highest level of integrity and good judgment, with ability to effectively handle confidential information
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical Demands: While performing duties of job, incumbent is constantly required to stand and walk. Must frequently use hands and fingers to type, handle, grasp, or feel objects; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear; use close vision, distant vision and peripheral vision. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
Work Environment: This position requires a majority of the work in an office environment and minor work in a production environment. The office environment has a low noise level with ambient temperatures controlled by heating and air conditioning and PPE is not required. The production environment has a loud noise level and requires PPE (hearing protection), ambient temperatures are warmer in the summer and colder in the winter, and may have exposure to vapors, chemicals, dust, and odors. Other PPE may be required related to specific tasks.
Trend Offset Printing, West Division
3791 Catalina Street
Los Alamitos, CA 90720
Email Human Resources